Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Assmunch Quote of the Day


"I had an interesting event occur on a recent Saturday while driving on one of our state highways in Northwest Arkansas. Upon exiting a curve in a tree-lined road at 50 mph, I encountered a flock of men on bicycles riding, not on the edge of the road, but three abreast in the traffic lane. Fortunately, my truck has new brakes and no one was injured. I did, however, exercise my right as an American to exhibit the decibel capacity of my horn.


"These men, dressed in the clownlike uniforms of the human powered two-wheeler, made obscene gestures and shouted at me, but they did move to the side of the road to allow my passage (a loud truck horn tends to get one's attention). A few miles further up the road the same scenario once again presented itself. This time I was better prepared and was able to urge the recreational group of cyclists to the shoulder, with my horn, and continue my trek.


"This whole incident started me thinking about bicycles on the road. Our roads are clearly designed for motor vehicles. Look at the size of lanes, the entries and exits, the speed laws and road composition. All of these design specifications point to one thing: motor vehicles. These roads, designed for motor vehicles, are funded by vehicle registration, vehicle taxes and fuel taxes, three things which do not apply to bicycles. These things alone tell me that these people have no right to our highways. …


--Johnny Tittle, "Where Bicycles Aren’t Allowed,” Northwest Arkansas Times

No comments:

Post a Comment