Friday, August 3, 2007

Quote of the Day


“So, where are we in this mental meandering about backpacks and preparation? I’m obviously writing where my mind has not been first. . . .

“I don’t think there is one exact answer or solution to the question of how careful we should or shouldn’t be. I also don’t think that our brains or backpacks are big enough to prepare for every contingency. We’re left with this dance, a balancing act between being careful and being (relatively) carefree. We think and plan ahead (or not) using reason, intuition, and common sense.

“Recently, I’ve been reflecting on the words of Anais Nin: ‘Life shrinks or expands in proportion to our courage.’ For some of us, expanding our courage involves shrinking our equipment.”

--David Fournet, How to Ride a Bike or Carefully Carefree, Fayetteville Free Weekly


No comments:

Post a Comment