Thursday, September 13, 2007

Two Stories of Domestic Abuse


Domestic violence should not happen to anybody. Ever. Period. But it does, everyday.

Many times well-meaning friends will tell the battered victim in an abusive relationship to "get out now!" The Mayo Clinic says the first sign that you may be a victim of abuse if you're in a relationship is someone who controls finances, so you have to ask for money. For those locked into an abusive relationship, getting help is not always as simple as just leaving, partly because they don’t think they can survive financially and partly because the abuser has made them believe that.

Mrs. Maier said, “I know he takes advantage of me and the kids with his demands that we do humiliating things to please him, but I’m afraid to ask him to stop. He buys things for us, and we couldn’t get along without his paycheck. I’m afraid to ask him to stop beating me, because he said he might leave.”

Mr. Mayor said, “I know they take advantage of our citizens by demanding lower water and sewer rates, but I’m afraid to ask them to pay as much as residential customers. They pay taxes that provide revenue, and we couldn’t get along without their payroll. I’m afraid to ask them to pay their fair share, because they said they might leave.”

No comments:

Post a Comment