Thursday, September 6, 2007

George Pappas, Mary Hinton, and Jonah

I wasn’t around when George Pappas opened George's Majestic Lounge in 1927, but I’m heading to Dickson Street to join the 80th anniversary celebration and hear Cross Canadian Ragweed tonight. Mary Hinton is no longer there to tell me I’ve been overserved, so I might not be posting as much during the next few days.

The legendary Jimmy Thackery is on tomorrow night, and the Cate Brothers are coming out of retirement for the event. The Nace Brothers and Steve Pryor will also be there, and I’m looking forward to hearing for the first time Donna Jean Godchaux, who has sung with the Grateful Dead, Elvis Presley, Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, and Boz Scaggs.

Don’t assume that I enjoy live music, cold beer, and hanging with my funky friends; it is just something I’m doing because I feel I have an obligation to support a worthy cause. Proceeds from the four-night event go to support Children's House, the only center in Arkansas providing long-term treatment, therapy and early childhood education exclusively to abused and neglected children between the ages of 18-months and 5-years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment