Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fayetteville Square Lookin' Good

OK. The renovation of the Fayetteville square looks good and is an improvement. Rob Merry-Ship and Helen Lewis have said so in serial letters to the Northwest Arkansas Times, and I agree. The end result is good, and it is a hospitable public space that we can use and enjoy.

That doesn't mean that I think the "no bid" contracts were appropriate. That doesn't mean I think that the commitment to match almost half a million dollars with no idea where that amount might be found in the city budget was prudent management. That doesn't mean I think that failing to share the full scope and plans for the renovation with the city council was wise administration. That doesn't mean I think it was at all helpful for an Alderman to write a letter to the editor attacking other council members who sought information and answers about the project. But, I do think the square is looking good these days, and I'm glad it turned out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment